Saturday, November 17, 2007

Quotations

Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.
William Jennings Bryan (1960 - 1925)

Perpetual devotion to what man calls his business, is only to be sustained by perpetual neglect of many other things.
Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894)

It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.
William Blake (1757 - 1827)


After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)

Young people are in a condition like permanent intoxication, because youth is sweet and they are growing.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)


First love is a kind of vaccination which saves a man from catching the complaint a second time.
Honore de Balzac (1799 - 1850)

One word frees us from all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes)
Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892)

3 comments:

Jason said...

Stevenson was born in 1850.

Hansisgreat said...

Jason. You are quite observant. Thank you.

Jason said...

I may not comment very often, but I do read every post. Thank you for keeping yours so diverse.