Friday, November 24, 2006

Music

Something familiar, something peculiar, something for everyone...
Still the Same, by Rod Stewart
$13.28 at Bn.com UPC: 828768264126
Never in a million years would I have thought I'd like a Rod Stewart cd. After all, isn't that the kind of thing someone's mother would like? Imagine my surprise as I realized how many good songs he's produced over the years. This is a great classic soft rock cd: soft enough to be a crowd p
leaser yet rockin' enough so that it won't put you to sleep like Barry Manilow or Tony Bennett. Don't take my word for it: listen to it and see how many songs you recognize and catch yourself humming along to.
Ta-Dah, by the Scissor Sisters
$11.88 at Bn.com UPC: 602517050907
70s Disco is back, but not annoying this time. "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" is such a terrific way to start the day it's wound up in my cd-player alarm clock and now begins every morning. I think I recognize this band from the Queer as Folk soundtrack (us gays love our disco). It's flamboyant, but not over the top, like Elton John at his best but stopping short of Abba. This is just good, clean, up-beat fun that anyone can enjoy.


Awake, by Josh Groban
$13.28 at Bn.com UPC: 093624443520
Tenors seem to be so hot these days, I though I'd review two of them. Josh started out his career sort of churchy: beautiful songs but not really my cup of tea. This one is secular, it starts of soft and mellow and crescendos to an impressive climax. Really, it's just pop-songs, sung with a strong, operatic voice that makes it sound like classical music without being a total bore. Nice while makin' love.

Siempre, by Il Divo
$13.76 at Bn.com UPC: 886970337724
Four good-looking tenors on this one. Their version of "I Can't Live if Living is Without You" should become the standard song to play while committing suicide, perfect for falling down on the bed, dropping the razor. For those of us who want to go on living there's plenty of good stuff in here too. It comes on a little strong at times with the melodramatic swelling, but occasionally melodrama is called for. Another good choice to play while getting romantic.

3 comments:

giggledork said...

i must agree i really do love listening to the sissor sisters at work...okay its like one of my favorites :P tho i usually feel like dancin when 'i dont feel like dancin' comes on...hmm
<3
Sarah

Hansisgreat said...

Exactly. It's a terrific disco record. I'm not sure why such a dancy song is about not feeling like dancing. But it works!

iain said...

Stop with the "someone your mother would love" and "disco is back" ! You're making me feel o-o-o-o-l-l-l-d. Just because I was born in the 1950s !